Siemens acquires majority stake in Materials Solutions

August 8, 2016

Siemens acquires majority stake in Materials Solutions

Materials Solutions manufactures Siemens burner heads

Siemens has acquired a majority stake in Materials Solutions Ltd., a specialist metal Additive Manufacturing parts maker based in Worcester, UK. Siemens now holds 85% of the shares, with the remaining 15% held by the founder of the company, Carl Brancher. The move follows the announcement in August 2015 that Siemens Venture Capital acquired a minority stake (14%) in the company. Financial details of the deal were not disclosed.

“With the acquisition of Materials Solutions, we are able to secure world-leading expertise in materials and AM process development with focus on high-temperature superalloys. The company’s strength is to turn models into high quality components in record time. Clearly Materials Solutions fits perfectly within our vision for growth and application of advanced technologies within our Power & Gas portfolio,” stated Willi Meixner, CEO of Siemens Power and Gas Division.

“We are very proud to become a part of Siemens,” stated Carl Brancher, CEO of Materials Solutions. “I am sure our know-how and experience will make a significant contribution to Siemens’ Additive Manufacturing strategy. Materials Solutions is developing the applications know-how and a supply chain for the world’s most advanced engineering companies – delivering processes and precision parts from 3D CAD models, using software, lasers and metal powders,” added Brancher.

A specialty of Materials Solutions is making turbomachinery parts, particularly high temperature applications for gas turbines where accuracy, surface finish and the highest quality of the materials is critical to ensure operational performance of the parts in service.

Siemens extensively uses AM technology for rapid prototyping and has introduced serial production solutions for rapid manufacturing of small fuel mixers and for rapid repair of burner tips for mid-size gas turbines. Siemens in Finspång, Sweden, began using Additive Manufacturing technology in 2009 and opened a production facility for metal 3D printed components in February 2016. This investment was the first step in the company’s plans for mass manufacture and repair of metal parts with Additive Manufacturing. The first 3D printed burner component for a Siemens heavy-duty gas turbine is in successful commercial operation in a power plant in Brno, Czech Republic.

www.siemens.com

In the latest issue of Metal AM magazine

Download PDF
 

Extensive AM industry news coverage, as well as the following exclusive deep-dive articles:

  • Revolution, not evolution: General Motors on building an AM culture and the AM Dream Machine
  • The power of Additive Manufacturing in the hands of artists: Public works to small batch production
  • Growing momentum and broadening recognition: A status update on the rise of Electron Beam PBF
  • Improving carbon capture efficiency through Additive Manufacturing in the race for a liveable climate
  • The System of AM Systems: How Metal Powder Works’ in-process powder production could change metal AM
  • The next generation: Using metal AM to drive emissions reduction and educate the engineers of the future
  • Advances in the AM of refractory metals and hard materials at the 20th Plansee Seminar
  • Additive Manufacturing needs you: Why you and your company should get involved in standards development

The world of metal AM to your inbox

Don't miss any new issue of Metal AM magazine, and get the latest industry news. Sign up to our twice weekly newsletter.

Sign up

News from the industry…

    News from the industry…

    Discover our magazine archive…

    The free to access Metal Additive Manufacturing magazine archive offers unparalleled insight into the world of metal Additive Manufacturing from a commercial and technological perspective through:

    • Reports on visits to leading metal AM part manufacturers and industry suppliers
    • Articles on technology and application trends
    • Information on materials developments
    • Reviews of key technical presentations from the international conference circuit
    • International industry news

    All past issues are available to download as free PDFs or view in your browser.

    Browse the archive

    Looking for AM machines, metal powders or part manufacturing services?

    Discover suppliers of these and more in our comprehensive advertisers’ index and buyer’s guide, available in the back of Metal AM magazine.

    • AM machines
    • Process monitoring & calibration
    • Heat treatment & sintering
    • HIP systems & services
    • Pre- & post-processing technology
    • Powders, powder production and analysis
    • Part manufacturers
    • Consulting, training & market data
    Download PDF
    Share via
    Copy link
    Powered by Social Snap