Founders repurchase Linear AMS from Moog Inc.

August 7, 2017

Linear AMS’s Founder, John Tenbusch, will resume majority control of the company, having repurchased it from Moog Inc. for an undisclosed amount in July 2017. The news comes after the Michigan, USA-based company revealed plans to lay off 40 workers and relocate its equipment to Moog’s New York headquarters.

The company was founded in 2003 and formerly known as Linear Mold and Engineering, prior to the acquisition of 70% of its shares by Moog Inc. in 2015, leaving Tenbusch with 30%. In a statement to The Ann Arbor News, Lou Young, Director of Tooling and Manufacturing, reported that Tenbusch now owns 80% control of the company, with Young taking up the role of Minority Partner with 20%.

Tenbusch has stated that he will now work closely with Young to re-energise the business with the aim of retaining jobs and driving revenue growth. According to Young, the company’s focus will now be the injection moulding business and improving tooling capabilities.

“We are maintaining around 70 employees with plans to grow that side of the business,” Young stated. While the 40 job cuts announced by Moog will go ahead as planned, he reported that some of those employees laid off may now be folded back into the Linear AMS business.

Among the goals announced by Linear AMS’s new ownership are 10% job growth and community outreach to encourage interest in the skilled-trades industry, engaging local colleges and high schools to “get that skilled trade mindset going,” stated Young.

Linear AMS currently operates out of two facilities in Livonia, Michigan. The company now hopes to pursue renewed investment in equipment and facilities, with the goal of consolidating its staff and operations under one roof.

“It’s not often the old executive management team gets to buy back the company after ten years,” Young concluded. “We’re able to focus on what our core was previously, and that’s got the employees excited as well.”

www.linearams.com

www.moog.com

In the latest issue of Metal AM magazine

Download PDF
 

Extensive AM industry news coverage, as well as the following exclusive deep-dive articles:

  • Revolution, not evolution: General Motors on building an AM culture and the AM Dream Machine
  • The power of Additive Manufacturing in the hands of artists: Public works to small batch production
  • Growing momentum and broadening recognition: A status update on the rise of Electron Beam PBF
  • Improving carbon capture efficiency through Additive Manufacturing in the race for a liveable climate
  • The System of AM Systems: How Metal Powder Works’ in-process powder production could change metal AM
  • The next generation: Using metal AM to drive emissions reduction and educate the engineers of the future
  • Advances in the AM of refractory metals and hard materials at the 20th Plansee Seminar
  • Additive Manufacturing needs you: Why you and your company should get involved in standards development

The world of metal AM to your inbox

Don't miss any new issue of Metal AM magazine, and get the latest industry news. Sign up to our twice weekly newsletter.

Sign up

News from the industry…

    News from the industry…

    Discover our magazine archive…

    The free to access Metal Additive Manufacturing magazine archive offers unparalleled insight into the world of metal Additive Manufacturing from a commercial and technological perspective through:

    • Reports on visits to leading metal AM part manufacturers and industry suppliers
    • Articles on technology and application trends
    • Information on materials developments
    • Reviews of key technical presentations from the international conference circuit
    • International industry news

    All past issues are available to download as free PDFs or view in your browser.

    Browse the archive

    Looking for AM machines, metal powders or part manufacturing services?

    Discover suppliers of these and more in our comprehensive advertisers’ index and buyer’s guide, available in the back of Metal AM magazine.

    • AM machines
    • Process monitoring & calibration
    • Heat treatment & sintering
    • HIP systems & services
    • Pre- & post-processing technology
    • Powders, powder production and analysis
    • Part manufacturers
    • Consulting, training & market data
    Download PDF
    Share via
    Copy link
    Powered by Social Snap