EnerAM project looks to use AI to improve sustainability of Additive Manufacturing powders

April 9, 2024

EnerAM – a group project between Atomising Systems Limited (ASL), Laser Additive Solutions (LAS), Nuclear Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre (NAMRC), Hybird Technologies ltd and Brunel University London (BUL) – has been awarded a UK government Industrial Energy Transformation Fund (IETF) grant of just over £1 million.

Using atomisation to produce metal powders is an energy intensive process, explains ASL, involving energy for melting, refining nitrogen gas and in the raw materials that are melted and alloyed. Not all the powder produced in an atomising run is usable, with as little as 30% being used for Additive Manufacturing processes.

Subscribe to our weekly newsletter
Sign up

The purpose of the project is to analyse and improve the carbon reduction and energy efficiency potential of process optimisation using AI, and a recycling approach in the production of metal-based powder used in Direct Energy Deposition (DED) Additive Manufacturing as feed raw material. The partners aim to reduce the overall energy used in the production of DED suitable metal powder by 20%, and gain industrial confidence on the recycling of powders and heat affected parts back into the start of the process.

Metal powder produced by Atomising Systems Limited is being recycled in the DED process by Laser Additive Solutions, with powder and parts tested by the NAMRC to ensure no degradation of properties as recycling continues. Data collected by all partners is being used by Hybird and BUL to create an analytics model showing the energy consumption in each process and optimise its reduction based on input parameters.

Around 60% of the funding for EnerAM is via the IETF grant, with the remaining 40% coming from the project partners. The funding allows the involvement of smaller companies, which would not be able to fund such research themselves, and allows ASL to work with partners experienced in modelling and AI.

Dirk Aderhold, Technical Director, Atomising Systems, stated, “Metal powder production is an energy intensive process and more research and development are needed to reduce the overall carbon footprint of additive manufacturing processes. Working on optimising the entire production route from melting metal to producing a final part opens up opportunities to optimise the entire production value chain.”






Download Metal AM magazine

In the latest issue of Metal AM magazine

Download PDF

Extensive AM industry news coverage, as well as the following exclusive deep-dive articles:

  • Metal powders in Additive Manufacturing: An exploration of sustainable production, usage and recycling
  • Inside Wayland Additive: How innovation in electron beam PBF is opening new markets for AM
  • An end-to-end production case study: Leveraging data-driven machine learning and autonomous process control in AM
  • Consolidation, competition, and the cost of certification: Insight from New York’s AM Strategies 2024
  • Scandium’s impact on the Additive Manufacturing of aluminium alloys
  • AM for medical implants: An analysis of the impact of powder reuse in Powder Bed Fusion

The world of metal AM to your inbox

Don't miss any new issue of Metal AM magazine, and get the latest industry news. Sign up to our twice weekly newsletter.

Sign up

Discover our magazine archive…

The free to access Metal Additive Manufacturing magazine archive offers unparalleled insight into the world of metal Additive Manufacturing from a commercial and technological perspective through:

  • Reports on visits to leading metal AM part manufacturers and industry suppliers
  • Articles on technology and application trends
  • Information on materials developments
  • Reviews of key technical presentations from the international conference circuit
  • International industry news

All past issues are available to download as free PDFs or view in your browser.

Browse the archive

Looking for AM machines, metal powders or part manufacturing services?

Discover suppliers of these and more in our comprehensive advertisers’ index and buyer’s guide, available in the back of Metal AM magazine.

  • AM machines
  • Process monitoring & calibration
  • Heat treatment & sintering
  • HIP systems & services
  • Pre- & post-processing technology
  • Powders, powder production and analysis
  • Part manufacturers
  • Consulting, training & market data
View online
Share via
Copy link
Powered by Social Snap