MKS introduces Ophir BeamPeek system for laser measurement in Additive Manufacturing chambers
April 27, 2022
Global provider of technologies for the measurement and analysis of advanced manufacturing processes, MKS Instruments, Andover, Massachusetts, USA, under its Ophir brand, has introduced the Ophir® BeamPeek™, an integrated beam analysis and power measurement system for real-time measurement of lasers in Additive Manufacturing chambers.
Introduced at Laser World of Photonics, the BeamPeek system is said to provide simultaneous beam profiling, focal spot analysis, and power measurement in three seconds. There is no requirement for water or fan cooling as the system includes a replaceable passive cooling beam dump tray that eliminates downtime between measurement sessions. It is said to be ideal for field service testing of Additive Manufacturing chamber powder beds. It is able to withstand chamber conditions, including the presence of metal powder residuals and for when cooling agents or airflow connection points are not available.
“Additive Manufacturing chambers present a challenging environment for high power laser-based systems,” stated Reuven Silverman, General Manager, Ophir Photonics. “There is no room for the large, complex systems with water cooling pipes typically needed for high power laser measurement, nor for fan-based systems that require cleaning before each use. The Ophir BeamPeek is able to measure high power lasers inside additive manufacturing chambers because of its compact, lightweight design and patent-pending passive cooling cartridge. This allows users to easily move between the AM systems without halting production and without the need to clean the chamber before use.”
The Ophir BeamPeek measures powers up to 1 kW for two minutes for both green (532 nm) and NIR wavelengths (1030-1080 nm). The active components (electronics, optics, camera, and power meter) are located in a sheltered chamber where the temperature rise is not more than 2.5°C per minute at 1 kW. The system includes an innovative beam dump designed as a replaceable tray that eliminates the need to waste time letting the system cool down. As the main beam enters the system, it encounters a beam sampler which diverts approximately 4 % of the laser’s power to the thermal sensor; the remaining 96 % is captured by the beam dump for faster cooling. This allows measurements to be repeated immediately, allowing for sustained work cycles.
The BeamPeek system is supported by a range of Ophir software options: StarLab, BeamPeek Tool, and BeamGage Professional. BeamGage is an advanced beam analysis system based on Ultracal, Ophir’s patented, baseline correction algorithm that helped establish the ISO 11146-3 standard for beam measurement accuracy. BeamGage software includes the calculations required to make accurate, ISO-approved laser beam measurements, including power and spot diameter, power density, spot position, and more. The software also provides advanced image processing features, NIST-traceable power measurements, trend charting, data logging, pass/fail production testing, and multilingual support.