GKN plc has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with GE Additive, Concept Laser and Arcam AB to collaborate on Additive Manufacturing. Under the agreement, GKN becomes a GE Additive development and production centre as well as a preferred powder supplier, while GE and its affiliated companies will supply additive machines and services to GKN.
Jos Sclater, Head of Strategy at GKN, stated, “We look forward to collaborating with GE Additive on this revolutionary technology. GKN has a strong history of producing and certifying AM parts and powder and this distinctive dual expertise enables us to create competitive solutions for our customers. By working together, GKN and GE can accelerate future developments in Additive Manufacturing and meet the growing demand we’re seeing across a range of industries.”
As part of the agreement a number of the activities include:
- GKN will become a GE Additive development and production partner for a range of powder bed and free form deposition technologies.
- GE Additive and its affiliated companies will become non-exclusive preferred suppliers of AM machines to GKN and its affiliates.
- GKN will collaborate with GE Additive on part development projects on powder bed machines to enable new market opportunities.
- GKN will become a non-exclusive preferred supplier of powder to GE Additive and GE’s industrial businesses.
- GE Additive’s Engineering Consulting Team (known as AddWorks) will assist GKN and its affiliates with the acceleration and industrialisation of AM machines.
Vice President and General Manager of GE Additive, Mohammad Ehteshami stated, “GE Additive and GKN both understand the transformative power that Additive Manufacturing will have to a range of industries. Additive machines from Concept Laser and Arcam will bring tremendous value to this GKN relationship and we look forward to collaborating more closely in the future.”