The European Powder Metallurgy Association (EPMA) has made available course literature from the recent ‘Additive Manufacturing with Steel Feedstock’ seminar. Organised under the EU-funded SAM project (Sector Skills Strategy in Additive Manufacturing), part one of the video presentations and PDF slides can be downloaded and watched for free.
The presentations provide a thorough introduction to materials with a focus on different types of steel feedstocks for producing AM parts.
The course literature covers the following topics:
- The effects of micro-alloying, relating grain refinement to mechanical properties
- AM conditions for a certain part taking into account the material ability for AM
- Carbon equivalent (CE), t 8/5 concept and preheating temperature
- Hardenability and maximum cooling rate
- Types of heat treatments requirements for a certain part, inferring the heat treatment conditions (depending on the shape and size of the part, the application and the code).
Course Videos (Further videos will follow in Part 2)